Friday, 22 January 2016

Awww poor him... No, serves him right... No, poor him



After watching Kid Criminals the other night, I felt very conflicted. If you din't manage to watch it, it was a documentary on juveniles serving time behind bars. It seems to be a weekly show, but this week it focused on the boys on the boys in the sex offenders block. They spoke to a few teenage boys under the age of 18 who were in there for some kind of sex crime. 
...........
At first I thought OMG they're disgusting creatures, how can they be that young and doing those kind of things to other children, who were sometimes even their siblings? But then the more I watched it the more I kinda understood their story. Now most of these boys had been abused themselves by parents or family members. One of the boys said if he was naughty his dad would punish him by locking him inside the washing and would sometimes switch it on while he was still in there. Another boy grew up with his mum who was on crack and doing prostitution so he saw a lot from a young age.
...........
Two boys in particular (the 1st guy with the glasses who speaks on the trailer and the black boy) seem so troubled. Almost like they knew what they did was really wrong and they were struggling to live with themselves or even forgive themselves. The black boy also seemed sooo lost like he literally fighting demons in his head. I got the feeling that what he did to his sister is always gonna be on his conscience and I don't think he can live with it. I feel like he could even commit suicide just out of pure guilt and frustration with himself. I actually felt sorry for him, then thought hold on, why am I feeling sorry for him? He's committed a sex crime and if he had troubled one of my kids I'd want him to be severely punished and would never forgive him. But at the same time he's so fucked in his head, so is it his fault, or is it his parents?
...........
There was one 18 year old in there (The one who talks through the little opening of the door) who simply came across as one big perv or even a paedophile. He kept being let out then re-offending and coming back in. The staff were saying that he loves young boys so much that he will even groom the younger or new boys in that block. Even though he had a slightly troubled past I didn't feel any empathy towards him, maybe because he was a lot older than the others and really should know better. He's even been threatened with being put on the sex offenders list, but that still doesn't seem to stop him from re-offending. I would assume that if he gets let out he will probably go and trouble another young boy and get thrown straight back inside. But because he will soon be 19 he would actually have to go into the main prison with the big men, so maybe that would give him the fright he needs to stop being a perv.
...........
The two young boys I mentioned earlier have been released since the filming of the show and I really hope they both find themselves some positive role models to help them turn their lives around and stay on the right track so they don't ever make the same mistake again.
...........
So as you can see, by the end of the documentary I found myself having a completely different opinion to what I had when I first started watching it. But, although they all had a pretty convincing sob story, should we really be feeling sorry for these kinda Kid Criminals.

No comments:

Post a Comment