Thursday, 29 October 2015

Does your hairstyle determine who you attract?

OK so I don’t normally do this, but I saw this picture on Instagram and thought I’d so a post on it, because it’s so true. Now as someone who constantly changes their hair and I can totally relate to this.
........
As I’m sure you’re aware black women's hair comes in various different states. So picture A would be some form of coloured extensions, while B would be her hair in it’s natural state with no colours or chemicals.
Now this is the same girl with the same face and same personality (unless of coarse she has multiple personalities...) so why would she attract a different kind of guy dependant on her hair? Well this is what I’m going to explore based on my experience.
........
So my hair tends to either be cute girly shoulder length curls with a subtle hint of green (that’s not on purpose I always aim to make it an outrageous green but it never comes out that bright) or Marley twists with bright neon green hair and I find I attract completely different men dependant on my hairstyles.
I remember years back in my late teens/early 20s having an extra long straight ombre blonde weave, (yes hard to imagine) and I found a lot of younger white guys started to talk to me and would literally stop their cars in the middle of a busy South London Road just to tell me how good I looked. I also got a lot of stereotypical White van guys whistling at me.
When I have my curly hair I get a lot of young black guys coming to chat to me. Yet when I have my hair in brightly coloured twists I get a lot of older white men stopping me to tell me how beautiful I am and actually trying to chat me up, which is always quite interesting...
........
Now the only reason I can think of that I’m attracting completely different kinds of men dependant on my hair is aside from each mans personal preference is that I’m someone who loves to accessorize and I’ve been known to plan a whole outfit around a hairstyle, so I dress a little different or wear different accessories and makeup to ‘match’ my new hairstyle, so I guess I am packaging myself completely different although I am the same person and don’t act any differently according to my look.
But one thing that baffles me is why is it that I attract older white guys with multicoloured twists , but they don’t look twice when I have my curls and similarly with young black men why do they love the curls but are not the slightest bit interested in my colourful hair...
........
So going back to the original picture of why her hair would attract a different guy, I feel it’s all to do with packaging. Just like any other ‘product’ depending on how it’s packaged will essentially determine who buys into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment