Monday, 18 May 2015

My Tobago Adventure - Turtle Beach Hotel


So after reading mixed reviews we decided to ‘take the risk’ and stay here. So when we arrived we didn’t know what to expect. Now I’ve stayed at All Inclusive hotels before and although Turtle Beach is AI if you’re looking for some 5 star luxury hotel with all the bells and whistles on, then this is not the place for you, it literally does what it says on the tin; it is a hotel and it is all inclusive (Although we did find out when we reached that they do have a B&B option) There’s no spa, kids club,golf (That I noticed), or fancy extras, simply rooms an extra large pool and Jacuzzi. Now this suited us just fine as we were only there for a long weekend to celebrate my besties birthday and to take in the Tobago Jazz Festival. The thing I liked most about the hotel was its charm it wasn’t pretentious, it was just a traditional looking Caribbean hotel which also reminded us a bit of a plantation house.
Our Room
We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite the main room had a double and single bed, flatscreen TV, a fridge, coffee making facilities and plenty of storage space (more than enough for 2 females who travelled with waay too much clothes) the 2nd bedroom was obviously smaller with a single bed but still had a lot of storage space but didn’t have any AC so I don’t know if you would have to request a fan from reception as the only breeze you would get would be from the little window in the room. The bathroom was lovely and clean and decorated in some pretty flower petals on our arrival to make us feel welcome. But the only thing was the door didn’t seem to fit the frame so when we used the toilet the door would sometimes open as it physically couldn’t close in properly.
The Staff
Now I’d read a few bad reviews about the staff and their attitudes, so I was bracing myself but the staff were all lovely to us especially the bar staff (but then we did kinda hang out there a lot...) everyone was really warm and friendly and chatty and from our 1st night we enjoyed some great banter at the bar. Now I’m a firm believer in treating people how you want to be treated and me and my friend are both very colourful happy, bubbly and friendly people so I dunno if that’s the reason why we had such a good experience and others had a bad time with the staff. Now it is very obvious they are quite understaffed and overworked and I’m guessing this has something to do with management (who we never saw for the whole of our stay) so I could understand if staff were frustrated. They also have a really random selection of drinks at the bar which means they can’t make up certain cocktails listed on the menu but once again I’m guessing thats down to management again probably trying to save money. OK so the pool was massive (I can’t imagine that ever getting over crowded even during high season) and the Jacuzzi was lovely and there was always enough loungers so we could relax by the pool with a cocktail and there was no annoying British folk (cuz I’m sure it’s only the Brits who do this) reserving all the best sun loungers from early.
Food
I enjoyed the food. The breakfast and lunch were always served in the same restaurant but the dinner would move around. Now there wasn’t tonnes of food (I think they cook depending on capacity to avoid too much waste) but it was tasty and there was enough. Breakfast, Lunch and dinner were all buffet which was perfect as I could be greedy and try everything. There was a good selection of hot and cold food and I was glad to see a lot of Tobago/Caribbean dishes available as opposed to the generic boring English/American dishes. One thing to look out for at breakfast time is the birds, they are determined and if you turn your back for a second they will have your food!
Would I stay here again?
I thoroughly enjoyed myself though and when I left I felt like I was leaving family because everyone was just so lovely to us. A long weekend was the perfect amount of time to spend as we were literally there to chill and although I saw a few kids here and there I wouldn’t recommend this if you’re travelling with the munchkins (unless they’re babies) as I saw no kids club/activities they would probably get bored then start to get on your nerves. But I would definitely recommend it for a romantic break with your man or a chilled out getaway with your girlfriends. I'd love to go back! I reckon it will be quiet now we’ve gone though cuz we were the party, if you asked anyone else who stayed there during that time they would know us as it’s not often you see a black girl with green, blue and yellow hair with multiple piercings and tattoos :)

3 comments:

  1. Oh I'd love to visit! I haven't been anywhere in the Caribbean since I was a teen!
    Glad you and your friend had a good time there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was lovely soooo chilled I definitely think a long weekend was the perfect amount of time to stay there. I think the bar will miss us though, oh how I love a free drink ;) hahaha

      Delete
  2. Ooohhh sounds like a great holiday!!! Hard decision to make when planning a chilled out Caribbean trip... Tobago <> Barbados <> Tobago <> Barbados... Will have to have a proper think about it & let you know!!

    ReplyDelete